Fruit flies invading your kitchen? Do you keep cleaning your counters and dispose of rotten fruit, but they’re still hanging around pestering you? Get rid of fruit flies easily by creating an apple cider vinegar trap!
Here’s how to do it:
- Pour some apple cider vinegar in a bowl, glass or jar until there is an inch or so of the vinegar in the bottom.
- Add a drop of dishwashing liquid such as Dawn to the vinegar and stir well.
- Cover the bowl, glass or jar with plastic wrap. Then place a rubber band over the plastic wrap to keep the sides sealed tight.
- Poke some small holes in the top of the plastic wrap. (You want the holes large enough for the fruit flies to get in, but not so huge that they can easily escape.)
- Place the vinegar trap in the area where the fruit flies are hanging out such as by a fruit bowl or sink.
How It Works
The apple cider vinegar’s sweet fermented smell attracts the fruit flies. Once inside the trap, the plastic wrap barrier prevents them from flying in and out. And, because the dishwashing liquid breaks the surface tension of the vinegar, when the flies try to land on the vinegar’s surface, they fall in and drown.
Give the vinegar trap a couple days to yield results. A female fruit fly can lay up to 500 eggs at a time, so even though the trap may have killed some of the adult fruit flies right away, the larvae will still be hatching.
Not only is this method free of harsh chemicals, easy and inexpensive, but it really works! Within 24-48 hours after trying this myself, there were more than 30 dead fruit flies in the vinegar. And after three to four days, my kitchen was completely free of fruit flies!