My daughter was home on spring break from college last week. We decided it was time for some mother and daughter baking! She found a great recipe for Smores Cinnamon Twists over at A Kitchen Addiction. My daughter has a dairy allergy but with some substitutions, we made it dairy free. We had a wonderful time baking in the kitchen together!
The recipe below is with the substitutions that we used to make it dairy free. The cinnamon twists rolls have a wonderful texture and taste. The recipe is not hard but does take some time to make. If short on time, you can cheat by using frozen bread dough or even just make the filling and use a ready to bake roll such as Pillsbury crescent rolls.
Dairy Free Smores Cinnamon Twist Rolls
- 3 cups flour
- 2 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 tsp instant dry yeast (1 small individual package)
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 2 tbsp Smart Balance Original margarine, melted and cooled off
- 1 cup soymilk or other dairy free milk substitute, warm to 120-130 degrees F
- 3 Tbsp Smart Balance Original margarine, softened
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp marshmallow bits
- 2 Tbsp graham cracker crumbs
- 1 Tbsp Smart Balance Original Maragarine
- 1 1/2 Tbsp water
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 3 tbsp Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp graham cracker crumbs
In a stand mixer bowl, beat together 2 cups flour (only 2 cups), sugar, salt, and yeast. Add in egg, Smart Balance margarine, and soy milk. Beat until just starting to combine. Add remaining cup flour.
Switch the paddle attachment out and replace with dough hook. Knead on medium speed for 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and starts to pull away from edges of bowl. Dough will be soft and a little sticky.
Grease large bowl. Transfer dough to the large greased bowl. Roll dough around bowl to coat. Cover with a clean towel and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
Turn dough out onto floured surface and punch down. Roll out into an approximate 12x10 inch rectangle. Spread dough with softened margarine. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Top with graham cracker crumbs, marshmallow bits, and mini chocolate chips.
Gently fold dough in half width wise. Gently press dough down. This will help keep the filling in when twisting the dough. Cut dough into 12 strips. Twist each strip and shape each twist into a spiral ring.
- Place twists on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a baking mat. Cover with a clean towel and allow to rise for 30 minutes or until puffed.
- Preheat oven to 375.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until twists start to turn golden brown. Remove and place on a wire rack.
Whisk together salt and confectioner's sugar for glaze. Melt butter and water together over medium low heat. Add in marshmallows and stir until melted. Add to sugar mixture and whisk until combined and smooth. Drizzle over the top of the cinnamon twist rolls. Top with graham cracker crumbs and mini chocolate chips. Allow glaze to harden and serve.